Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » GET_FILE_NAME not working
GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592262] Tue, 06 August 2013 03:06 Go to next message
sivasubbusn
Dear All,

I am developing a form using Forms [32 Bit] Version 6.0.8.11.3 (Production). In my custom form I have given a Push_Button and my idea is to invoke a File open diaglog box when I hit the button.

So, i wrote the below code under 'when-button pressed ' triger. But, the button is not invoking the File Open diaglog box in TEST environment. Can you pls. help me?

Code:
=====
DECLARE
XXFILENAME VARCHAR2(50);

BEGIN
XXFILENAME := get_file_name('C:\', NULL,
file_filter=> 'JPEG Image (*.JPG,*.JPEG,*.JPE,*.JFIF)|*.JPG|Bitmap Image (*.bmp)|*.bmp|GIF Image (*.GIF)|*.GIF|TIFF Files (*.tif)|*.tif|All Files (*.*)|*.*|');

END;
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592272 is a reply to message #592262] Tue, 06 August 2013 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Try
xxfilename := get_file_name();
first, so that it uses default values for all parameters (mostly NULLs, but *something* should happen). Then add parameter by parameter and see what happens.
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592362 is a reply to message #592272] Wed, 07 August 2013 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sivasubbusn
Dear Littlefoot,

I have given only Get_File_Name() but its not working. Can you help me further?

Regards,
Siva
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592367 is a reply to message #592362] Wed, 07 August 2013 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What happens? Is there any message/error?

Put MESSAGE calls in front of and behind that line so that you could see whether code gets executed at all, such as
message('In front of');
xxfilename := get_file_name();
message('Behind');
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592385 is a reply to message #592367] Wed, 07 August 2013 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sivasubbusn
Hi Littlefoot,

It displayed only message beyond nothing happened.

Siva
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592418 is a reply to message #592385] Wed, 07 August 2013 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've just tried it, and it works perfectly OK.

Run the form once again. Carefully watch form's status line (the bottom line, where all messages come up, such as number of current record, possible error messages, "Transaction completed" and such). Maybe the form expects you to enter some values first (before pushing that button) - if so, Forms will inform you.

Therefore, execute query first (just to fetch existing data, no matter what it really is) or enter required items so that form doesn't fail because of that. Then push the button. GET_FILE_NAME() *should* open a window which enables you to browse for files. At least, it did for me.

Which operating system do you use? I tested it on MS Windows XP SP3. Pay attention to whether Forms version you use is certified with operating system you use doesn't matter if it is not supported any more; important is that it *was* certified. Otherwise, there's a chance that some functionalities won't work (which might include GET_FILE_NAME).
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592423 is a reply to message #592418] Thu, 08 August 2013 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sivasubbusn
Dear Littlefoot,

Thanks a lot for your patience in answering my queries. However, I have tried as per the steps mentioned by you but it didnt work.

Mine is Windows 7 32 bit OS.

Regards,
Siva
Re: GET_FILE_NAME not working [message #592427 is a reply to message #592423] Thu, 08 August 2013 03:20 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, that might be a problem. Forms 6i was never certified with Windows 7. I'm afraid I can't help.

Try to Google around, maybe you'll find a workaround.
Previous Topic: Continuous Updation of Calculated Field ?
Next Topic: Dashboard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 10:22:24 CDT 2024