Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges
ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges [message #54023] Thu, 24 October 2002 08:09 Go to next message
James Briar
When i try to log on as SYS with sysdba privileges i keep getting ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges :-

set ORACLE_SID=imptest
sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect / as sysdba (fails with ORA-01031 error)

The database is Oracle 8i on an NT server (NT4).

I'm logged onto the NT server as administrator. The group ORA_DBA exists and administrator is a member of this group. The sqlnet.ora file contains SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS). The parameter file contains REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=exclusive. I've created a password file by doing orapwd file=e:oracleora81databasepwdimptest.ora password=nnn entries=5. Also when i log into the SYS user (without sysdba privs) and do select * from v$pwfile_users; the output shows that user SYS has sysdba and sysoper privs. I've tried logging into the internal user and granting SYS sysdba privs etc. Can't think of anything else that would cause the ORA-01031 error.
Re: ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges [message #54030 is a reply to message #54023] Thu, 24 October 2002 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
Try that:

Add into your registry, ... ORACLE new REG_SZ value DBA_AUTHORIZATION=BYPASS or to your INTERNAL password.

If imptest is not your default-home database then add into the HOME<ID> for this database.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges [message #54043 is a reply to message #54030] Fri, 25 October 2002 02:54 Go to previous message
James Briar
Hello Trifon,
Thanks for your reply. I did the changes but i still get the same ORA-01031 error. I can't use the shutdown/startup commands from user SYS as i can't connect as sysdba, but i can shutdown/startup the database anyway by stopping/starting the service for the imptest database. Also i can shutdown/startup the imptest database through RMAN so i can live with this ORA-01031 error, Thanks.
Previous Topic: oracle startup problem
Next Topic: Desupported Versions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:45:57 CDT 2024