Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Snapshot options
Snapshot options [message #54851] Mon, 09 December 2002 16:15 Go to next message
Eugene
Hi all,
I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on NT and need your opinion of how to do the following:
I have a prod d/base and need to make and replicate a smaller copy (test) of it on another box. I know that it is possible to create a query snapshot and replicate it on the test box. Is it the only/best/quickest way? Is this what you'd do? My prod schema is almost 1000 tales about 5 of which are over 20M rows.
How can I do this? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Eugene
Re: Snapshot options [message #54871 is a reply to message #54851] Wed, 11 December 2002 11:29 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
"Is it the only/best/quickest way? Is this what you'd do?"

It depends on your requirements - do you need sync data on the "another box" or or could be behind the prod box, do you need that "smaller copy" to be subset of a table or you mean just some but whole tables, where is the "another box", what is the connection to the "another box", how frequently the "another box" will receive the updates?

One choice will be to setup snapshot replication, do full refresh initially, and then get the increments on some intervals.

Another choice would be to setup transportable tablespaces replication of the whole users tablespaces.

You can also do standby db, which opens for read-only for a while, then closes and keep sync with the primary.

The last option, which I can think of is to write AFTER INSERT triggers on the production database, to replicate the new data to the "another box".

Choices are given. The decision is all yours.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Transaction handling from ASP
Next Topic: How to plan for the setup ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:48:55 CDT 2024