Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Import
Import [message #57197] Wed, 28 May 2003 04:31 Go to next message
Dik
Hi,

While I was doing import in new database (from full export of old databse) my PC frozen. Can I repeat import action (I am woried about duplication of data) or I have to drop new tablespaces, datafiles ...
Maybe I have to drop database and create a new one?

Thanks
Re: Import [message #57199 is a reply to message #57197] Wed, 28 May 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shashi
Hi
You Dont have to drop database or tablespace u can reload the data using import it wont duplicate the data.

shashi
Re: Import [message #57201 is a reply to message #57199] Wed, 28 May 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe
But you need to specify
IGNORE = Y

this ignores the creation of existing tables and will import the data in the not existent with creation.
Best way will be to delete the tables which are created, let th DB and TBLSP's stay there.

hth
Uwe
Re: Import [message #57203 is a reply to message #57201] Wed, 28 May 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shashi
Thanks for the information
Re: Import [message #57222 is a reply to message #57203] Thu, 29 May 2003 02:51 Go to previous message
psmyth
You have been given some misleading information.

Running the import without at least truncating the tables would make it highly possible for duplications to occur.

If the referential constraints are 'perfect' then duplicates would violate the constraints and not be allowed, but can you be certain the constraints are all they should be?

Also, after the first import, you may have 'on insert' triggers enabled on certain tables. Importing again could cause you some issues if those triggers were to be executed as a result.

Safest procedure....

do an import 'show=y' and strip out the 'create user' commands from the logfile for each schema owner relating to your application - the 'oracle' users you can ignore as you presumably aren't interetsed in migrating them. You should include the 'default tablespace' info, quotas and grants for each user. Copy these into a script and save it somewhere as it will be useful if you ever need to recover in the future.

now you can drop the users, recreate them and then import each individually from the export file - its easiest that way so you can identify any errors on the way.

imp system/manager fromuser='schema_name' touser='schema_name' ignore=y etc etc

Have fun!
Previous Topic: listener 2.2 to listener 9.0.1 can't connect
Next Topic: two way replication in sql2000
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:28:39 CDT 2024