Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Failed to install oracle 8.1.7
Failed to install oracle 8.1.7 [message #57334] Fri, 06 June 2003 04:33 Go to next message
Suman Chattopadhyay
I have set my virtual memory 3 times as my ram as per the advice of Mr.Mahesf Rajendran,even then it is giving the same error given below

I have windows 2000 advanced server as O.S. and 128 MB of RAM. At the
time of installation of Oracle8.1.7 I am receiving this error
message after Database initialization phase is started(at 90%). Tried
a no.of times,but could not install.
Can u please explain me the reason and suggest an effective remedy?
my email:-suman_chat2001@yahoo.com
Thanks,

Suman
Re: Failed to install oracle 8.1.7 [message #57358 is a reply to message #57334] Mon, 09 June 2003 01:33 Go to previous message
Chandru
Hi,

128MB RAM for Windows 2000 Advanced server and Oracle 8i over that? The installation will never complete even if u make ur Virtual Mem 3 times of the RAM. This is coz Windows will gobble up most of the RAM and there will be lil left for Oracle. If you have installed some other applications that have services of their own, then it makes matters worse. The best option is to increase your RAM - I recco that you make it at least 512 MB. Check RAM usage before you start installing Oracle. Another good habit is to plan the Memory requirement for Oracle before you start installing and ensure that free RAM is available to that extent coz towrds the end of the installation process installer tries to start the instance. If you don't have sufficient memory at this time, the installation will fail. So increase ur RAM to at least 512 and set ur Virtual Mem to twice that.

HTH
Chandru
Previous Topic: binding variables
Next Topic: OID and Active Directory synchronization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:26:08 CDT 2024