Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Initialization or Shutdown in Progress
Oracle Initialization or Shutdown in Progress [message #57944] Mon, 21 July 2003 15:27 Go to next message
Rick Shantz
I have a database that will not complete the startup process. I get an error message:

ORA-01113: file 11 needs media recovery
ORA-01110: data file 11: 'D:ORACLEORADATANOWHRSEMTEST_DATA.ORA'

I don't care about this data file/tablespace. It's an empty tablespace I just created today.

As it is now, I cannot even get into the DBA Studio to delete these tablesspaces. I do, however, have a tablespace inside the same database that I do want. How can I get Oracle to start without worrying about the problems with this data file/tablespace so I can get into DBA Studio and simply delete it and then recreate it again?

Is there any straightforward method?

Thanks,

Rick Shantz
Re: Oracle Initialization or Shutdown in Progress [message #57946 is a reply to message #57944] Mon, 21 July 2003 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fengq
do a media recovery
open a dos window locates where your pfile is
type:
set pfile= init(DB).ora
set ora_sid=(DB)
svrmgrl
connect internal/(password)@(DB)
startup
recover
alter database open;
Re: Oracle Initialization or Shutdown in Progress [message #57947 is a reply to message #57946] Mon, 21 July 2003 17:33 Go to previous message
Rick Shantz
Thanks,

I tried a recover and this solved my problem. I would have thought that if it was indicated I needed to restore from media that a recover wouldn't have worked....luckily it did and this was straightforward.

I am up and running again.
Previous Topic: ORA-04021 Timeout error while waiting to lock the object
Next Topic: how to execute a bat file for sqlplus???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:24:21 CDT 2024