Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Distributed database - application transparency
Distributed database - application transparency [message #59701] Wed, 17 December 2003 07:30 Go to next message
Korawit
I'm developing an application for a university. This university have 4 campus(4 databases) in seperated state.
My application will use data from every campus. I plan to set Oracle 9i distributed databases located on each site. I want my application to see those databases as single one.
For example, the subject registration module, student from each campus can register subject of every campus.That mean my application need to query subject catalog from 4 distributed database(same table name and fields but unique subject id).

Can I do it by the application doesn't need to know that is distributed databases(can develop as working on ordinary database). Moreover, if the network link down the registration module of each campus must still woking on subject catalog of local database.
Please help ...
Re: Distributed database - application transparency [message #59711 is a reply to message #59701] Thu, 18 December 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Well, if the network link is down, remote sites will be unavailable. To solve this problem, you might want consider some sort of data replication between the various sites. The following replication methods are available in Oracle:

- Snapshots or Materialized Views - Simple, one-way, read-only replication from a master site to secondary sites. See the "SQL Reference Guide" for more info.

- Oracle Advanced Replication - can be bidirectional with multiple master sites. See the "Advanced Replication Guide" for details.

- Oracle Streams - can be bidirectional with multiple master sites. See the "Oracle Streams Guide" for details.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Distributed database - application transparency [message #59726 is a reply to message #59711] Thu, 18 December 2003 08:57 Go to previous message
Korawit
Thank you Frank, I'll read more on your recommended topic. I think the replication method is interesting because my application planed to use data of other distributed node as read-only.

I have additional question.

1. If we forget the network avilability, focus on network speed, how much bandwidth is enough to serve distributed database traffic, can we estimate or it's depend on how many data and transaction(my network bandwidth less than 10 Mbps).

2. Before I got your reply, I thought about using view or stored procedure to make the transparency such as create view that combine data from two site by using UNION statement. Is the UNION statement propers for my case(I heard that It can be slow)

Best regards.

Korawit
Previous Topic: views mount/nomount/open dynamic/static
Next Topic: How to Measure Database Usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 13:43:16 CDT 2024